The Greater Bluffton Republican Club is pleased to announce that our next meeting will be held at Southern Barrel Brewing Company at 375 Buckwalter Pl Blvd, Bluffton, SC on Monday, January 8, 2018.
We are very pleased to have Senator Tom Davis join us. Mr. Davis will give a legislative update.
The social hour begins at 5:00 P.M. and the meeting starts at 5:45 P.M. Please come enjoy this great venue while enjoying the fellowship of like-minded conservatives. The public is welcome.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION
There are currently 5 elected public servants on Bluffton Town Council, 4 town councilmen & the mayor. Since there are only 5 members of Bluffton Town Council, most actions taken by council can be decided by a majority of 3. THREE people can basically control everything that happens in the town of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Bluffton is a town of 20,000 people, there needs to be more voices on town council to support the ever growing population and to prevent any future collusion on the local level.
Members of Town council can vote to put council expansion up for referendum but many of the members have continually said they WOULD pursue this but have gone back on it. The only way for council to be expanded, thus, is by petition.
We need 1,500-2,000 Bluffton residents (15% of registered voters) to stand up to give the public a voice on this. We are not saying that town council MUST be expanded, we are simply saying the people need to decide this in a referendum.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION
The Greater Bluffton Republican Club is pleased to announce that our next meeting will be held at Local Pie Bluffton at 15 State Of Mind St, Bluffton, SC on Monday, December 4, 2017.
We are honored to have Martin Sullivan, Chief of Staff to Mayor of Savannah Eddie DeLoach, join us. Martin will be giving an update on current events in Savannah, including crime and the new Savannah police department as well as the state of the GOP in Georgia and the lowcountry.
The social hour begins at 5:00 P.M. and the meeting starts at 5:45 P.M IN THE UPSTAIRS ROOM. Please come enjoy the beautiful venue while enjoying the fellowship of like-minded conservatives. The public is welcome.
The Greater Bluffton Republican Club is pleased to announce that our next meeting will be held at Bluffton BBQ at 11 State Of Mind St, Bluffton, SC 29910 on Monday, November 6, 2017.
This this the day before the Bluffton Town Council election so we are conducting a business meeting at Ted Huffman’s Bluffton BBQ to show our support for Ted. We will give a club update and discuss club business and then we hope to conclude the meeting and go out into old town to show our support for Ted.
The meeting starts promptly at 5:45 P.M. Please come enjoy the restaurant, Ted is opening the place just for us! Any and all Ted Huffman supporters are welcome.
After a unanimous vote at the October 9th meeting, the Greater Bluffton Republican Club is proud to endorse Ted Huffman for Bluffton Town Council.
Ted is a staunch conservative that will bring a common sense voice to Bluffton Town Council on the issues of:
Plastic Bag Ban
Expanding Town Council
Keeping the May River clean
If you’d like to learn more about Ted or get involved in his campaign, please contact the club at email@example.com
The Greater Bluffton Republican Club is pleased to announce that our next meeting will be held at the Rose Hill Golf Club at 4 Clubhouse Dr, Bluffton, SC 29910 on Monday, October 9, 2017.
Since we were unable to have our September meeting and because we will be hosting 2 forums in the weeks before our meeting, we will be mostly handling club business at this meeting. If you’d like to discuss anything in particular, you will have the opportunity to in an open public comment session.
We will also draw our winners for our 2017 2nd Amendment Fundraiser.
The social hour begins at 5:00 P.M. and the meeting starts promptly at 5:45 P.M. Please come enjoy the beautiful clubhouse while enjoying the fellowship of like-minded conservatives. The public is welcome.
For Immediate Release:
The Greater Bluffton Republican Club (GBRC) is opposing any proposed Plastic Bag Ban in Beaufort County, South Carolina as voted by the executive board.
The proposal is in direct violation of the following conservative principles of the GBRC: Taxation Only When Necessary, Limited Government, Private Property Rights & Innovation & Prosperity through a Free-Market Economy.
In addition, the GBRC opposes any Plastic Bag Ban on these grounds:
- Littering is already illegal – One of the main concerns over plastic bags is reducing litter. If litter is the problem, we should be penalizing residents & visitors who litter, not law-abiding citizens who use plastic bags lawfully and in most instances re-use and recycle them.
- Cost to consumers – The math is simple. Plastic costs 1 cent per bag, paper is 7 cents per bag. This adjustment will cost the average grocery store $20,000 per month to convert. To recoup these costs, prices of goods will be raised and the cost of the ban will be passed to consumers.
- Bags are not even #1 source of litter – As stated at the Natural Resources Committee meeting on Tuesday, August 22, 2017, single-use plastic bags are the fifth most prevalent type of litter picked up by conservationists. Cigarette butts are number one. Almost all municipalities who pass a plastic bag ban, do not see a reduction in litter. (Clemson University Life Cycle Assessment of Grocery Bags in Common Use in the United States – 2014)
- A Bag Tax will follow – In our research we were not able to find an occurrence where a tax did not accompany a plastic bag ban. Most residents will not feel an impact of a tax but those at or below the poverty line certainly will. Any proposed ban will hurt these residents the most.
- Exemptions – As discussed at the Natural Resources Committee meeting on Tuesday, August 22, 2017, zip-lock and newspaper bags will not be part of any ordinance. We fail to recognize how marine life in Beaufort County will be able to distinguish a grocery bag from a newspaper bag.
In conclusion, we respectfully request that all Conservatives and Beaufort County Council members not pursue and/or vote “No” on any Plastic Bag Ban proposals.
Greater Bluffton Republican Club Executive Board
President Sarah Kimball
Vice President Paul Runko
Treasurer Chris Hervochon
Secretary Mark Balinski
For questions or comments please contact: